Secret jobs are finally here in Octopath Traveler 2, a sequel to one of the most loved turned-based JRPGs in history. If you want to start unlocking these secret jobs, our guide will help.
But first, be sure to grab some Nintendo eShop Cards from OffGamers and start cozying up to this game.
4 Hidden Classes You Can Unlock in Octopath Traveler 2
As an Armsmaster, you’ll be able to wield every melee weapon in Octopath Traveler 2, and sometimes, all at once. It’s a secret job that’s recommended for physical attackers like Throne, Hikari and Ochette.
With this job, you’ll be able to equip daggers, polearms, axes, swords, bows and staves.
How to Unlock Armsmaster
To unlock the Armsmaster job, the Armsmaster Guild is required. You can find it at the blacksmith’s home in Gravell, located in the northwest. First, you’ll need to complete a quest that involves rescuing a blacksmith and gathering some equipment.
What equipment will you need? Some rusty weapons will be smithed into good weapons. You’ll need to keep these weapons equipped to use the related skill.
Most of these weapons will be found in chests, but you’ll need to fight some bosses to get a few of the others. Here’s what you’ll need:
To get the Rusty Sword, you’ll first need to get the Sturdy Pickaxe. You can exchange the pickaxe for the Rusty Sword.
The pickaxe is easy enough to get. Just travel to the weapon shop in Oresrush, Wildlands to grab it. Just look for the miner near the shop.
Next, head to the eastern area of Winterbloom, Winterland to find the woman near the rock. Give her the pickaxe, and she will reward you with the Rusty Sword.
In order to get the Rusty Polearm, you’ll need to first defeat a guard in Timberain, Leaflands. Once there, you can head to the western area of the castle to find the guard. The guard will drop the polearm after being defeated.
You can find the Rusty Dagger in a chest in the Shipwreck of the Empress. Before you can get there, you’ll need to obtain a pass that will allow you to sail the ship called Grand Terry.
The pass can be obtained after you do Partito’s quest Scent of Commerce. Once the pass is in hand, you can sail towards the western part of the Wildlands Region.
Once you’ve reached the shipwreck, you’ll need to navigate through the inside of the ship to find the chest.
To get the Rusty Axe, you will need to defeat the Lords of the Sands boss in Quicksand Gaol. First, you’ll need to locate a cave. The Lord of the Sands will be waiting for you at the centre of this cave.
Inside here, you’ll find a chest that contains the Rusty Axe.
To get the Rusty Bow, you’ll need to fight a boss in the Nameless Village, specifically in the Sinking Ruins.
When you’re in the right place, you’ll notice an ominous presence letting you know that the fight is about to begin. The boss will drop the Rusty Bow once it’s been defeated.
The Rusty Staff can be found in the chest inside Flamechurch, Crestland. You’ll need to find access to the Seat of the Water Sprite castle. The chest will be on the basement floor.
The Armsmaster’s ability to equip all weapon types is useful for melee attackers and allows you to cover all enemy weaknesses.
Armsmasters have various skills, and each will do more damage in certain circumstances. Bow attacks, for example, will trigger twice if you break a shield. A spear will do more damage if there are multiple enemies.
But some of the best skills are:
- Bulwark: Deal a devastating physical attack on a single enemy before going on the defensive until your next move. The higher your defence level, the more potent the attack.
- Sixfold Strike: Hits an enemy once with every weapon. This is one of the best skills for this job because it can tell you which weapon the enemy is weak against in just a single turn.
Each weapon will also have an individual skill. Along with physical attacks, armsmasters have support skills, including:
- Invigorating Break: Restores the character’s HP when breaking an enemy.
- Master of Offense: Allows the equipping character to land crits more easily on broken enemies.
- Peak Performance: Increases damage dealt when at or above max HP.
- Arms Refinement: Fills the character’s latent power gauge when exploiting a weak point on a foe.
The Arcanist secret job in Octopath Traveler gives you access to more advanced buffs and the ability to equip staves and daggers. To unlock this job, you’ll need some cash and a few other things.
How to Unlock Arcanist
To unlock the Arcanist secret job, you’ll need to unlock the boat. To do that, you’ll need Partitio and 100,000 leaves. Once you have Partitio and the cash, you’ll need to head over to Tropu’hopu, a town to the east of Beasting Village. Here, you can buy a ship, but you can only do so if you have Partito in your party. While you’re in Beastling Village, you will also get Ochette.
Partitio Yellowil is a merchant, and he wants to free the world from poverty. You can recruit him to your party by visiting Oresrush in the Wildlands and finishing Chapter 1 of his questline.
Once all of your ducks are in a row, you can set sail and head East towards The Lost Isle. To reach the isle, you will need to fight a boss inside a whirlpool.
After you’ve landed on the island, look for the ladder and climb up to switch the time to night. Now, follow the blue path to the left until you find the arcanist. The arcanist will provide you with a job license before disappearing into the night.
Keep in mind that the enemies on the isle are level 45+, so you’ll want to wait until you’re more advanced in the game to try and unlock this job. You’ll need to pay 2,000 JP for each skill.
Tip: If you want to get a discount on the ship, you can hire NPCs at Tropu’hopu. The Merchant at the inn will give you a 20% discount. There are two other NPCs that steepen that discount, but it’s a gamble – you’ll need the luck to get it.
The Sailor in the upper house: A 5% chance to receive a 50% discount on purchases
The Apothecary by the dock: A 1% chance to get an item for free
If you don’t have any luck, you can save and continue rerolling the discount.
The best users for the Arcanist job are Hikari, Partito and Osvald. Arcanists have a variety of skills they can acquire, but some of the best include:
- Seal of Immortality: Give yourself a buff that will leave you with 1 HP when hit with an attack that would otherwise kill you.
- Seal of Diffusion: Expand the reach of single-target skills to affect all allies for three turns.
There are other damage-dealing skills and buffs you can acquire. Support skills include:
- Lasting Memory: Status effects on the equipping character don’t disappear even when they are incapacitated.
- SP Recovery: Gain SP when taking damage.
- Price of Power: Increases the amount of SP used when using magic, but spell effects are also increased.
The Inventor is a secret job that will give players access to more advanced support skills. The Inventors Guild will be needed to unlock this job. The best users of this class are Hikari, Agnea and Throne.
How to Unlock Inventor
In order to unlock the Inventor job, you’ll need to first head out to Eastern New Delsta Highroad. Head North and cross over the bridge. Take a right and look for a large building.
Enemies in the area will be level 5 or higher. Speak to Arkar inside the building to receive the Inventor License.
In order to gain skills for this job, you will need to gather items to help create Arkar’s inventions. Some of these materials are rare drops, others are uncommon, some are quest rewards and others are expensive equipment.
Items that you’ll need to collect include:
- Elemental bomb bottle: You’ll need a Rainbow Glass Bottle (found in a chest in the harbour of Conning Creek), Thunder Soulstone, Ice Soulstone and Fire Soulstone to make this item.
- Critical scope: You’ll need Critical Earring and Unerring Earring, which can be purchased from a weapon shop.
- Tin Horn: You’ll need an Empowering Lychee, Mythical Horn (found in a chest in the Nameless Village) and Tin Toy. The toy is a unique item that will only be received after completing the third chapter of Partito’s story.
- Hastening Hammer: You’ll need a Soldier’s Bow, Guardian’s Axe and Great Blade.
- Arkar’s Coil: You’ll need an Ancient Cog, Scrap Metal and Natural Magnetite.
Inventors gain a variety of skills by creating inventions. They are best described as buffers and debuffers, but they are also skilled at breaking down shields.
Two of the best Inventor’s skills include:
- Tin Horn: Fills ally latent power gauges.
- Critical Scope: Transform single-target damage into critical damage for four turns.
They also have support skills, which include:
- Upgraded Accessories: Raises the attributes of the equipping character’s accessories.
- A Step Ahead: Allows the equipping character to act first at the beginning of the battle.
- Fruits of Labor: Increase the physical defence and elemental defence of the equipping character.
- BP in Adversity: When health is low, this ability grants the equipping character 2 BP.
The Conjurer can equip staves and bows. With this job, your character will get access to the most elemental skills for their attacks.
How to Unlock Conjurer
To unlock this job, you’ll need to get Proof of the Conjurer, which acts as a license. And in order to get that license, you’ll need to fight five different bosses before facing the Conjurer.
The battle takes place at the top of the Five-Tiered Tower in Ku. Enemies in this area are level 45+.
The great news is that most of these bosses are easy to defeat, and you won’t need to beat them all at once without healing. The final boss, the Conjurer, can be a little challenging. She switches between different forms:
- Sword-wielding demon: Weak against the wind, axe, light and staff.
- Shrine maiden: Weak against a polearm.
Once you’ve defeated the Conjurer, you’ll receive the Proof of the Conjurer, and she will disappear.
There is no guild for this job, so keep this in mind.
The best users for this job are Temenos and Castti. To unlock skills for this job, you’ll use JP. Each skill will cost 2,000 JP, with the exception of the final skill, which will cost 8,000 JP. You’ll need a total of 15,000 JP to get all of the skills.
The Conjurer’s job is to imbue physical attacks with elements.
Some of the best skills for the Conjurer include:
- Prayer of the Rain: Grants SP to allies for two turns after they perform an action.
- BP Boost: Grants an ally 2 BP at the start of each turn for three turns.
Support skills for this class include:
- Divine Wrath: Sends misfortune to enemies that make the equipping character incapacitated.
- Purification: Effects that reduce attributes will dissipate twice as fast.
- BP Regeneration: Equipping character has a 25% chance of recovering the amount of BP used.
- SP Saver: Halves the SP cost of character skills.
Octopath Traveler 2’s secret jobs add more depth and fun to this JRPG. Unlocking them takes a bit of effort, but it’s worth it to get access to their skills.
If you’re struggling to unlock these secret jobs or want to improve your skills in this game, be sure to watch more gameplays and streamers on Twitch or YouTube for tips and tricks and playthroughs.
And while you’re at it, check out our review of Hogwarts Legacy, our most anticipated game of the month for February 2023.
Discover the latest gaming tips and updates on gamertory.com.